top of page
Frequently asked questions about planning services

Frequently Asked Questions About Extension Plans & Architectural Design:

Why do we charge so much less than other architects?

Architects usually work from large offices and employ more staff receptionist advisers and so on, they often design high-risk blocks or amazing glass towers or stunning cutting edge bridges. We specialize in domestic house plans and can, therefore, draw on a wealth of knowledge gained from having prepared similar projects locally many times before. We also use the latest equipment to produce floor plans and elevations quickly indeed we are often asked to produce existing floor plans and elevations for architects and their practices because we can do it more cost-effectively than they can.

What is Planning permission?

planning Permission in simple terms is like asking if you can do a certain piece of building work. It will be granted (possibly subject to certain conditions) or refused. Parliament has given the main responsibility for planning to local planning authorities (usually, this is the planning department of your local council). Therefore, if you have any queries about a particular case, the first thing to do is contact your local planning authority. It is your responsibility for seeking, or not seeking, planning permission. If required, it should be granted before any work begins.

What are Permitted development rights?

You can perform certain types of work without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights". they derive from the general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. Bear in mind that permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings. Similarly, commercial properties have different permitted development rights to dwellings. in some areas of the country, known generally as 'designated areas'. permitted development rights are more restrictive. If you live in a Conservation Area, National Park, area of outstanding beauty, world Heritage site, or the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads. You will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work that do not need an application in other areas. There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building. The planning portals general advice is that you should contact your local planning authority and discuss your proposal before any work begins. They will be able to inform you of any reason why the development may not be permitted and if you need to apply for planning permission for all or part of the work. You should also note that the local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing article 4 direction this will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.


What are the Building Regulations?

The Building Regulations help ensure that all new buildings, conversions, renovations and extensions (domestic or commercial) are going to be safe, healthy and high-performing. Detailed regulations cover specific topics including structural integrity, fire protection, accessibility, energy performance, acoustic performance, protection against falls, electric and gas safety. They also lay standards for drains, ventilation, protection against ingress of water and protection against contamination including methane and radon gas. The building regulations are defined by the English and Welsh Governments. The Building Regulation Advisory Committee (BRAC) advises the Secretary of State in England on making building regulations and setting standards for design and construction of buildings.

What is the Party Wall Act?.

If you are thinking of altering or extending your home? This Act may apply to you. The Party Act came into force on 1 July 1996 and applies throughout England and Wales. It provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes concerning Party Walls, Boundary Walls, and Excavations near Neighboring Buildings. Anyone intending to carry out work of the kinds described in the Act must give Adjoining Owners notice of their intentions.

KJG Design Local Building Control Approved..gif
bottom of page